Wednesday, December 1, 2010

This Week in Trashy Reads #16

Trashy Read #16: The Best Mistake, by Nora Roberts

Inspired by the Nora Roberts read from last week, I picked up this super-short book to pass some time. Mostly, I just wanted to read something quick late at night while most of the lights were off so I could enjoy the Christmas lights framing my F. Scott Fitzgerald poster.

This is one of Roberts's books from her old days as a series/category romance writer for Harlequin. It definitely reads as such. (For those of you who don't know what a series romance is, all you need to do is go to your local Wal-Mart or grocery store and look at the thin paperbacks with overly-smiley couples on the front. They are published monthly and cost very little; they're the Oreos of the romance world.) A single mom, Zoe (Roberts loves her single moms) takes on an upstairs tenant in her house named Cooper, a local sports writer. Cooper eventually falls for both Zoe and her cute son Keenan. Both worry they are making a mistake but end up engaged by the end.

I don't have much to say about this book, honestly. The characters were pretty underdeveloped, and I missed the friendships with secondary characters that Roberts's longer books always contain. Reading this book was the equivalent of eating whipped cream, but I'm not going to complain. The book literally took me an hour and ten minutes to read, and it was fairly adorable. As usual, Roberts delivers on the warm and fuzzies.


Next in Trashy Reads: Who knows? I have an old Judith McNaught historical sitting on my desk. It's apparently one of the much-loved classics of the genre. I've also been jonesing to reread Lord of Scoundrels. I have no idea what book will pick me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment