Friday, April 1, 2011

March 2011 in Review

Total Pages Read in March:  1,808

I read a little over 400 more pages in March than I read in February.  I read a couple of romances, including one by a new favorite, Julie James.  I also attempted to read and understand Faulkner, which had mixed results.  I didn't enjoy Light in August very much, but it did help me realize that Faulkner deserves his reputation as one of the all-time great American writers.  He's just not hitting the right buttons for me personally.

I read two nonfiction books at the end of the month.  Sarah Vowell's new book, Unfamiliar Fishes, was okay but not as good as her previous work.  Meanwhile, Homer Hickam's memoir, Rocket Boys, was much better than I had anticipated.  As is so often the case, I judged the book before I read it and then was surprised to find I actually liked it.

April is shaping up to be a great reading month, one I'm really excited about.  I'm starting off the month with Walker Percy's 1961 classic, The Moviegoer.  Already, I like it a great deal.  There is a sentence on the fourth page that makes me want to dance with delight.  Look for me to quote it in my official review next week.  Since April is National Poetry Month, I hope to read at least two books of poetry.  Of course, there will be some trashy romances mixed in, as well as at least one horror or fantasy novel.

Most importantly, I have decided to take part in the NPR Monkey See blog's I Will If You Will Book Club.  I'm excited about this one, because Linda Holmes and Glen Weldon picked Dream Country, a volume of Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novel series.  I already have the book in hand, ready to go!  I'll let you know how this pursuit goes.  I think it'll be fun, and I encourage you to participate also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment