Wednesday, June 1, 2011

May 2011 in Review

Total Pages Read in May: 1,964

May wasn't quite as successful a reading month as April was.  I only read about 100 fewer pages, but I wasn't as in love with my reading material this time around. I did manage to fit in something from just about every area - nonfiction, poetry, fiction, and lots of graphic novels.  The only regular genre I didn't cover was romance, with which I'm getting increasingly bored. 

Without a doubt my favorite book this month was Alice Hoffman's The Red Garden.  It had something for every part of my reading brain - tragedy, sweet love stories, hope, humor, and strong sentences.  I loved it.  I read a couple other Hoffman books this month, too, but none of them struck me the way The Red Garden did.

I got a nice dose of history with Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts, about the rise of Hitler in 1933 Berlin and the American response to the early Nazi regime.  I also read a lot of graphic novels, including a re-read of Jason's Hey, Wait..., one of my favorites of the medium.  I also reread Barbara Kingsolver's awesome novel, The Bean Trees, which I hadn't read in years. 

I'm pretty happy with how May turned out as a reading month, even if I enjoyed April more.  I have a few coming-soon books I'd like to read in June, including the latest historical romance by Julia Quinn and a memoir from one of my favorite funny guys, actor Simon Pegg.  I have a few rereads planned as well.  Hopefully, June's weather is much, much dryer and sunnier than May's, as I would love to be able to do more reading outside.  There's nothing I love more than sitting on the back deck with a good book and a nice breeze.  What summer reads do you have planned?

2 comments:

  1. I have finally started The Hunger Games. Even just a few chapters in I can tell that I'll have to pretty much drop everything until I finish them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh definitely. I was useless until I finished all three. I actually have the first one sitting on my desk to read again. So addictive!

    ReplyDelete